Each app has a cache that stores temporary data and other files you’ve recently accessed – and that includes video conferencing apps like Microsoft Teams. If the cache is too full, it can make the application run more slowly and consume storage space on your system.
Fortunately, no matter what kind of device you have, clearing the cache of Teams is very simple and doesn’t take long.
Still, before clearing Microsoft Teams’ cache, be sure to turn it off. And be aware that clearing Microsoft Teams’ cache may also get you out of your account.
How to clear the cache of Microsoft Teams on your pc
On Windows computers, you can find all the cache files in the “appdata” folder.
1. Open the search menu on your PC and search for %appdata%. Open the folder when it appears in the results.
2. Open the Microsoft folder, and then open the Team folder.
3. Here, you need to find and delete three specific folders. Cache, Code Cache, and GPUCache. Be sure to delete the folders themselves, not just the contents within them.
Don’t worry about breaking your Teams app, thinking that once you reopen Teams, it will create the folder again and there’s nothing inside.
How to clear cache for Microsoft Teams on Mac
On a Mac, most cache files are saved in the Application Support folder.
1. Open a Finder window and click Go at the top of the screen, and then Go to Folder…
2. In the search box that opens, type and submit ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams.
3. In the open folder, locate and delete Cache, Code Cache, and GPUCache. You can delete them by right-clicking, or drag them to the trash can icon in your Dock.
The next time you open Teams, the folders will be generated again and will be completely empty.
How to clear Microsoft Teams cache on Android device
Every app on an Android phone or tablet has its own “Storage” page, which you can use to clear the cache.
1. Open the Settings app, tap Storage, and then tap Apps.
2. Find the team in the list of apps and tap on it.
3. Select the Clear Cache option.
How to clear Cache from Microsoft Teams on iPhone or iPad
Apple makes clearing the cache on their mobile devices a bit more difficult. To clear Teams’ cache on your iPhone or iPad, you’ll need to either offload or uninstall the app.
Offloading an app will erase all of its temporary data, like the cache, but keeps the app’s icon and most vital data on your device. Uninstalling it erases all of its data, including its icon.
1. Open the Settings app and tap General, and then either iPhone Storage or iPad Storage.
2. Wait a few moments for a list of all your apps to load, then scroll down and select Teams from the list.
3. Choose whether you want to Offload or Delete the app.
You can also remove the app from the home screen by holding your finger down on its icon until the “Delete App” option appears.
Once you’ve offloaded or uninstalled Teams, feel free to redownload it again.